Roast chicken, on a weeknight? It's a wild premise, but it might just work. To make it a fast and easy dinner solution, it's a matter of halving and butterflying your chicken for speedy cooking. While it's crisping in the oven, whip up a zingy salsa verde with green chilli, green capsicum, lemon and parsley, and dinner's on its way.
- 800 gm kipfler potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1.4 kg whole chicken, butterflied and halved lengthwise
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 green capsicums, quartered and seeded
- 1 long green chilli, halved and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Mixed lettuce, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C. Toss potatoes in 1 tbsp olive oil and season. Arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- 2Rub chicken with 1 tbsp oil and season well. Place on a separate large baking tray with lemon, capsicum, chilli and garlic. Place potatoes and chicken in oven and roast until golden and crisp (25-30 minutes).
- 3Set chicken aside, loosely covered to rest (5 minutes). Meanwhile, remove skin from capsicum and discard, then place flesh in a small food processor with roasted lemon slices, chilli, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and remaining oil. Process until finely chopped.
- 4Serve chicken on potatoes, with capsicum salsa verde and lettuce.