- 12 cooked king prawns, peeled, with tails intact and cleaned
- 100 gm cooked school prawns, heads removed
- 120 gm Chinese cabbage, cut into 1cm-wide strips
- ¼ green papaya, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1½ cups mixed herbs, including coriander, basil and mint leaves (loosely-packed)
- 50 gm ripe papaya, cut into 5mm pieces
- 50 gm roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup watercress sprigs (loosely packed)
- ½ tsp finely ground dried shrimp (available from Asian food stores)
- 20 gm fried shallots (available from Asian food stores) (¼ cup)
Lime and chilli dressing
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 fresh long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated palm sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2½ tbsp each freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice
- 1For lime and chilli dressing, place garlic and chilli in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound until a coarse paste forms. Add palm sugar, fish sauce and citrus juices and combine well, then adjust with more sugar or fish sauce if desired. Makes about ¾ cup.
- 2Place all ingredients except fried shallots in a bowl, add ½ cup lime and chilli dressing and toss to combine well, then divide among bowls, scatter with fried shallots and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Young, slightly sweet, grapy, German-style – or German – riesling.