- 1 litre fish stock
- 1 tsp saffron threads, dry roasted
- 500 gm kipfler potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 bulbs of baby fennel, halved lengthways
- 4 snapper fillets (about 200gm each), skin on and pin-boned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 180 gm balsamic cipollini onions (see note)
Green olive dressing
- 2 tbsp green olive tapenade
- 1 wedge of preserved lemon, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salted capers, soaked for 10 minutes and drained
- 1 green shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Place fish stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, add saffron and simmer for 2 minutes or until stock is coloured, then add potatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add fennel and cook for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, then drain, discard stock and cool slightly.
- 2Score snapper skin and season to taste. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add snapper, skin-side down, cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
- 3For green olive dressing, place all ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste, then stir to combine. Pour half the dressing over potatoes and fennel, add onion and stir gently to combine.
- 4Spoon vegetables onto plates, top with snapper fillets, spoon over remaining green olive dressing and serve immediately.
Note Balsamic cipollini onions are baby onions pickled in balsamic vinegar. Available from David Jones Food Halls, Simon Johnson and delicatessens.