Spelt, zucchini and a sauce boosted by cavolo nero give this all-green pasta real star quality, while pecorino pepato adds a touch of sharpness. The pesto-style sauce is easy to play around with - try it with all basil or if you have leftover carrot tops, switch them for the cavolo nero.
- 250 gm spelt spaghetti (see note)
- 4 zucchini, spiralised or 250gm zucchini noodles
- Basil leaves and finely grated pecorino pepato, to serve
Cavolo nero-almond sauce
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (firmly packed) cavolo nero or kale, stalks discarded, leaves torn
- ½ cup (firmly packed) basil
- 30 gm blanched almonds
- 20 gm finely grated pecorino pepato
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 ½ garlic cloves
- 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (8 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for cavolo nero-almond sauce, process ingredients in a food processor to a coarse purée and season to taste.
- 3Drain pasta and return to pan with zucchini and sauce, toss to combine, season to taste and serve topped with basil and pecorino.
Spelt spaghetti is available from select supermarkets. If it's unavailable, substitute a wholemeal pasta.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm