- 25 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150 gm speck, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1.5 litres hot chicken stock (6 cups)
- 1 chicken (about 1.9kg), jointed
- 200 gm risoni (1 cup)
- 12 baby carrots (about 1 bunch), trimmed, large ones halved lengthways
- 20 baby leeks (about 2 bunches), washed and trimmed
- 150 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- To serve: crusty white bread (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, speck and garlic and sauté until just tender (5-7 minutes). Add chicken stock and 500ml hot water, increase heat to high, bring to the simmer, add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer until cooked through (8-10 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool slightly. Add risoni and carrots to stock and cook until almost cooked through (3-5 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, coarsely shred chicken (discard skin and bones) and set aside. Add leeks and peas to pan and cook until just cooked through (1-2 minutes). Return chicken to pan, stir through to heat, season to taste and serve hot scattered with parsley, with crusty white bread.
This recipe is from the September 2010 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am