Miso makes a vegetarian umami-laden broth that's quick to prepare. It's been said that miso is as diverse in variety as wine or cheese; you may need to up the quantity here, depending on the type.
- 70 gm miso
- 5 gm dried wakame (optional) (2 tsp)
- Light soy sauce, to season
- 510 gm asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced, tips left whole (3 bunches)
- 300 gm broad beans, blanched and peeled
- 600 gm silken tofu, at room temperature, broken or cut into bite-sized pieces
- Roasted sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds, to serve
- 1Stir miso into 1 litre water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add wakame and simmer until softened (1-2 minutes). Season to taste with soy sauce. Add asparagus and broad beans and simmer until just tender (2-3 minutes).
- 2Divide tofu among four serving bowls. Ladle broth and vegetables over tofu, drizzle with sesame oil and serve topped with a pinch of roasted sesame seeds.