You'll need to begin this recipe 2 days ahead.
- 250 gm unblanched almonds
- 2 pieces of orange rind, removed with a peeler
- 30 gm white sugar
- 3 gelatine leaves (titanium strength), soaked in cold water
- 300 ml pouring cream (1 cup)
- 100 ml latte di mandorla (see note)
- 2 eggwhites
- 55 gm caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 55 gm icing sugar, sieved (1/3 cup)
- 50 gm blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 150 gm blackberries
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp latte di mandorla (see note)
- 1For meringues, preheat oven to 100C. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt on high speed until soft peaks form then, while whisking, gradually ‘rain in’ caster sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold in icing sugar and almonds, then spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe 1cm high meringues onto a greased and baking paper-lined baking tray and bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven and cool completely in oven. Store in an airtight container until required or for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 60.
- 2Place almonds in a bowl, cover with 2 cups cold filtered water and stand overnight. Drain almonds, then process in a food processor with 1¾ cups filtered water until almonds are finely chopped. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing firmly to extract all liquid and discard solids. Makes about 1¼ cups.
- 3Combine almond milk, orange rind and sugar in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to almond milk mixture and stir until gelatine dissolves. Remove from heat, add cream and latte di mandorla, stir to combine, then pour into 50ml-capacity dariole moulds and refrigerate overnight or until set.
- 4For macerated blackberries, combine ingredients in a bowl and stand for 1 hour for flavours to combine.
- 5To serve, unmould panna cotta onto plates, spoon blackberries and syrup beside panna cotta, scatter with meringues and serve immediately.
Note Latte di mandorla is a sweetened almond milk concentrate available from Simon Johnson and select delicatessens.