Baked eggs and creamed spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 20 gm butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bunches English spinach, trimmed and washed
- 80 ml pouring cream (1/3 cup)
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp tarragon vinegar
- 175 gm Gruyère, coarsely grated
- 160 gm crème fraîche (2/3 cup)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Thickly sliced sourdough bread
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add leek and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until very soft. Add spinach and cook another 2-3 minutes or until just wilted, then tip into a colander and press firmly using a wooden spoon to extract any excess liquid. Process in a food processor with 2 tbsp cream until finely chopped and season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg. Divide among four 1 cup-capacity ovenproof ramekins.
- 2Crack an egg into each ramekin. Combine remaining cream and vinegar in a jug and stir to combine. Drizzle a little cream mixture over each egg, season to taste and bake for 20-25 minutes or until egg is cooked to your liking.
- 3Meanwhile, for the Gruyère toasts, combine cheese, crème fraîche and mustard in a bowl, season to taste and mix to combine. Lightly toast bread under a hot grill, turn and spread with Gruyère mixture, return to grill and cook until cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve alongside baked eggs.