- 1 small tri-tip (1.5kg; order from your butcher)
- 240 gm provolone dolce, thinly sliced
- 60 ml vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 6 eggs
- 6 thick slices soy and linseed sourdough
- 2 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 300 gm mayonnaise (1 cup)
- 10 anchovy fillets (see note)
- 2 tbsp baby capers, drained, rinsed
- 4 cornichons, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup each flat-leaf parsley and basil, very finely sliced
- 1For anchovy mayo, place the mayonnaise in a bowl. Chop the anchovy fillets on a board, then crush them with the flat of the knife blade to form a paste, then add to mayonnaise with capers, cornichons, garlic, herbs and lemon juice and mix to combine. Refrigerate until required.
- 2Thinly slice tri-tip on an angle across the grain into twelve 1cm-thick slices. Place on a tray, sprinkle with sea salt and grind fresh black pepper over, then grill over medium heat, turning once, until cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes each side for medium). Transfer to a tray, top with provolone and set aside in a warm place to rest (5 minutes).
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and fry eggs in batches until white is cooked and yolk is still runny (2-3 minutes). Lightly toast the bread in a toaster or under a grill. Spread a good layer of mayonnaise on the bread slices, then top each with avocado, 2 slices of steak, onion, an egg and rocket, then season well and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy southern Italian red or Tasmanian lager Drink suggestion by Max Allen