Polenta adds a gorgeous texture to these waffles, which are perfect for breakfast or brunch - or dinner, or supper for that matter. A spoonful of tangy tomato relish would round this off perfectly.
- 100 gm fine polenta
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 125 ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 180 gm plain flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 60 gm finely grated vintage cheddar
- 60 gm finely grated Manchego
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- 1Bring 250ml water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium, and gradually add polenta, whisking continuously. Simmer, whisking continuously, until thick and polenta no longer tastes grainy (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in milk. Transfer to a bowl to cool, then whisk in buttermilk and egg until smooth. Stir in flour, baking powder, paprika and a generous pinch of salt until smooth, then stir in cheeses and chives and season to taste.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Heat a non-stick waffle iron until hot and lightly spray with oil. Add about ½ cup of waffle batter (exact amounts will depend on your waffle iron – refer to manufacturer’s instructions), spread evenly and cook until golden brown (5-6 minutes). Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper and keep warm in oven while you cook the remaining waffles. Serve hot topped with sliced ham, fried eggs and chives.
Drink Suggestion: Hoppy India pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen