For a chunkier soup leave the chickpeas whole. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 400 gm dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water (2 cups)
- 2.5 litres chicken stock (see our <b><u><a href='http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/chicken-stock-brodo-di-pollo.htm'>Italian chicken stock recipe</a></b></u> or use another good-quality unsalted chicken stock) (10 cups)
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 100 gm mild pancetta, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 800 gm chicory (about 2 bunches), leaves only, coarsely chopped
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Drain chickpeas (discard liquid) and place in a large saucepan, add stock and bring to the boil, then cook over low heat until tender (1-1½ hours). Remove half the chickpeas and process to a coarse texture in a food processor, then return to soup.
- 2Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add pancetta, onion, garlic and rosemary and cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Add to soup with chicory, season to taste and stir occasionally until tender (30 minutes). Serve hot drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am