Champorado is a traditional Filipino sweet cocoa-flavoured breakfast porridge. We've created a vanilla version topped with chocolate and orange rind.
- 875 ml milk (3½ cups)
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- 75 gm caster sugar (1/3 cup)
- 200 gm glutinous white rice, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, drained and rinsed (1 cup)
- 120 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1Combine milk, cinnamon, vanilla beans and seeds in a saucepan over low heat and simmer until infused (30 minutes). Add sugar, stir to dissolve (1-2 minutes), then strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.
- 2Return milk to the simmer over low heat, add rice, stir occasionally until rice is tender (30-35 minutes; add more milk if mixture becomes too thick). Serve hot scattered with dark chocolate and orange rind.