You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 400 ml thickened cream
- 20 ml brandy
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks, plus 2 eggwhites
- 75 gm liquid glucose
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 300 gm <b><u><a href='http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/dark-fruit-mixture.htm'>dark fruit mixture</a></b></u>
- To serve: cherries and flaked almonds
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 400 gm dark chocolate (56% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 100 ml brandy
- 1Whisk cream, brandy, vanilla and cinnamon in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (4-5 minutes), transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until required.
- 2Whisk yolks in an electric mixer until light and creamy (2-3 minutes). Meanwhile, stir glucose, 125gm sugar and 80ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until combined, bring to the boil and cook until syrup reaches 118C on a sugar thermometer (3-4 minutes). Whisking on medium speed, gradually add syrup to yolks, then whisk on high speed until thick and cooled to room temperature (2-3 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in a large bowl until soft peaks form (3-4 minutes), then, whisking continuously, gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until thick and glossy (1-2 minutes).
- 4Fold yolk mixture into cream mixture, then fold in eggwhite mixture to combine. Fold in dark fruit mixture, transfer to a 1.2-litre container and freeze until firm (overnight).
- 5For chocolate-brandy sauce, bring cream to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, remove from heat, add chocolate and stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, add brandy and whisk to combine. Transfer to sterilised bottles and refrigerate until required.
- 6To serve, scoop balls of ice-cream into chilled bowls, pour chocolate-brandy sauce over and serve topped with cherries and flaked almonds.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chefs' RecipesThe Agrarian Kitchen Eatery's Meyer lemon shaker pieYesterday 10:00pm