- 4 eggs
- 1 yolk
- 130 gm brown sugar
- 40 gm plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- For dusting: icing sugar
- To serve: sliced mango, raspberries and mint leaves (optional)
- 500 gm mascarpone
- 100 ml milk
- 30 gm brown sugar
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 mangoes, flesh coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Separate 2 eggs, place yolks into the bowl of an electric mixer and reserve whites. Add remaining eggs to mixer, along with additional yolk and 110gm sugar, then beat with
a paddle attachment until thick and very pale (6-8 minutes). Add flour, cornflour, ginger and lime rind, and beat to just combine. Whisk reserved eggwhites in a separate bowl with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then add remaining sugar and whisk until firm peaks form (1-2 minutes). Fold into egg-yolk mixture, then spread evenly over the base of a 24cm x 35cm shallow baking tray buttered and lined with baking paper (butter the top of the baking paper too). Smooth top and bake until risen and centre springs back when lightly pressed (6-8 minutes). Turn out onto a clean tea towel dusted heavily with icing sugar, stand for 5 minutes, then carefully peel the baking paper off the top. Dust cake with icing sugar, roll tea towel and cake into a loose cylinder and set aside to cool (20-30 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for mango cream, whisk mascarpone, milk, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes). Process half the chopped mango with lime juice in a food processor to a purée, fold into cream mixture and refrigerate until required.
- 3Roll out cake with the shortest side nearest you. Spread over mango cream, leaving a 1.5cm border along each length and 5cm at the end furthest from you. Scatter with remaining chopped mango and roll cake away from you to form a cylinder. Place on a serving plate (you can refrigerate for 1 hour at this point), dust with icing sugar, top with mango slices, raspberries and mint leaves, dust with icing sugar again and serve.