Classic flavours, premium produce and minimal intervention is the name of the game with this grilled tuna salad.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 300 gm Roman beans, trimmed
- 340 gm asparagus, trimmed
- 60 ml (¼) cup olive oil
- 400 gm sashimi-grade tuna loins
- 1 golden shallot, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup (loosely packed) red-vein sorrel leaves
- ¼ cup chive batons
- ¼ cup chervil sprigs
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon, plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water (6 minutes for soft-boiled).
Refresh in iced water and peel.
- 2For anchovy vinaigrette, crush anchovy and garlic with the flat side
of a knife to a fine paste. Transfer to a jug with remaining ingredients, whisk to combine and season to taste.
- 3Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high. Drizzle Roman beans and asparagus with 2 tbsp oil and season to taste. Char-grill beans, turning occasionally, until charred and tender (3-4 minutes). Char-grill asparagus, turning occasionally, until charred and tender (2-3 minutes). Transfer beans and asparagus to a plate.
- 4Drizzle tuna loins with remaining oil, season and char-grill, turning, until charred on all sides but still rare in the middle (3-4 minutes).
5 Halve eggs and thickly slice tuna, and divide between plates with beans and asparagus. Add egg, shallot and herbs, and drizzle with anchovy-tarragon vinaigrette to serve.