- 1 tbsp lard
- 500 gm piece pork loin
- 12 quail eggs
- 800 gm dried bean thread noodles
- 16 prawns, peeled and cleaned, shells reserved for stock
- To serve: Chinese chives, bean sprouts and lemon wedges
Pork and prawn stock
- 2 kg pork bones, coarsely chopped
- 4 dried scallops, rinsed
- 1 lemongrass stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cm piece rock sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- To taste: fish sauce
Crisp garlic and shallots
- 250 ml vegetable oil (1 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1For pork and prawn stock, combine bones and reserved prawn shells in a large saucepan, cover with water, then bring to the boil over high heat. Skim scum, reduce heat to low-medium, add remaining ingredients, except fish sauce, and simmer, topping up with more water as necessary, until stock is well flavoured (4-6 hours). Strain through a fine strainer, season to taste with fish sauce and refrigerate until chilled. Spoon fat from surface and discard. Refrigerate until required.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Heat lard in a frying pan over medium heat, add loin and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (8-10 minutes). Transfer to oven and roast, turning occasionally, until cooked through (15-20 minutes). Cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (1 hour). Just before serving, thinly slice.
- 3For crisp garlic and shallots, heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat, add garlic, stir until just golden (3-5 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Add shallots to oil and stir until golden (3-5 minutes), then set aside to drain. Cool oil and reserve.
- 4Cook quail eggs in boiling water until soft-boiled (3 minutes). Refresh, peel and set aside.
- 5Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente (2-3 minutes). Drain, then divide among serving bowls.
- 6Bring 2 litres reserved stock to the simmer, add prawns and poach until just cooked (2 minutes), then arrange on noodles and top with quail eggs and sliced pork. Ladle hot stock over and scatter with crisp garlic and shallots. Scatter with Chinese chives and bean sprouts and serve hot with lemon wedges and reserved garlic and shallot oil.