For this moreish combination, look for young small broad beans, which are tender and full of flavour. Makes 12 pitas.
- 3 pita breads, quartered
- 500 gm (about 1 bunch) radishes, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp salt
Broad bean felafels
- 250 gm broad beans, podded (about 700gm unpodded), plus extra, blanched, to serve
- 200 gm (2 cups) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- ½ cup each finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
- 3 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Green tahini sauce
- 200 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 1 cup (firmly packed) mixed leafy herbs, such as coriander, mint and parsley
- 40 gm unhulled tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups mixed torn herbs, such as dill, coriander, mint and flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ Spanish onion
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1For pickled radish, combine radish and salt in a bowl and refrigerate to pickle (4 hours to 3 days).
- 2For felafels, process broad beans, chickpeas, herbs, garlic and spices in a food processor to a fine paste. Stir in flour and bicarbonate of soda, season to taste and roll into walnut-sized balls. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate until chilled (15 minutes).
- 3For tahini sauce, process ingredients in a blender until smooth and season to taste.
- 4Pour oil to 5cm deep in a saucepan and heat to 160C. Preheat oven to 150C. Fry felafels in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (3-5 minutes), then transfer to
a baking tray and keep warm in oven.
- 5Heat a char-grill pan to high. Grill pitas until golden (1-2 minutes each side), then wrap in a tea towel to keep warm.
- 6For herb salad, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 7To serve, arrange pita bread on plates, top with feta, felafels, herb salad and pickled radish, drizzle with green tahini sauce to taste, and scatter with extra broad beans.
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen