- 5 gm dried yeast (1¾ tsp)
- 700 gm “00” flour
- 15 gm sea salt (1½ tbsp)
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1Combine yeast and 100ml lukewarm water in a bowl, stir to dissolve and set aside until foamy (5 minutes).
- 2Combine flour, salt and olive oil in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- 3Add yeast mixture and 320ml water and knead until well combined.
- 4Stand at room temperature, covered with a damp tea towel, until doubled in size (1 hour). Or refrigerate overnight to prove.
- 5Turn onto a bench and knock back, dusting lightly with flour, and bring mixture just together to form a smooth soft dough. Do not overwork.
- 6Divide into 6 balls, then place on a lightly floured surface and cover with a lightly floured tea towel until doubled in size (20 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to highest setting, placing a pizza stone on the top shelf to heat.
- 7Working with a ball of dough at a time, place onto a flour-dusted 22cm-diameter pizza tray and press outwards from the centre to flatten, making the edges slightly thicker than the centre.
- 8Spread with pizza sauce (see note), then transfer base to hot pizza stone with a metal fish slice. Add toppings (see recipes at right), then bake until edges are puffed and golden and base is crisp (12-18 minutes). Repeat with remaining dough balls and serve hot.
Note Makes 6 x 22cm-diameter pizze. To make pizza sauce, blend 400gm canned whole peeled Italian tomatoes with 1½ tsp dried Greek oregano, 1 garlic clove and 2 tsp tomato paste in a small food processor or blender. Bring to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat for flavours to infuse. Season well to taste then set aside.Pizza Margherita
Prepare pizza bases, divide 500gm torn mozzarella among bases, then bake as per step 8. Scatter with basil leaves and serve hot.Salsicce, Gorgonzola and broccoli pizza
Trim 2 bunches broccolini, halving thick ends, and cut into 4cm lengths. Blanch in salted boiling water until just tender (1-2 minutes), refresh and drain well. Prepare pizza bases, then top with broccolini, 400gm coarsely crumbled pork and fennel sausage, 200gm crumbled Gorgonzola dolcelatte and dried chilli flakes to taste and bake as per step 8.Pizza bianca
Prepare pizza bases, omitting the pizza sauce. Top with 24 thin slices salami, then 200gm each of grated mozzarella, Asiago and Fontina, then 24 anchovy fillets, and bake as per step 8.