What it lacks in refinement, the crostata more than makes up for in sheer rugged good looks. This version is as simple as it gets - pastry, fruit, and hazelnut meal to help soak up a little of the juice from the plums.
- 900 gm plums, halved and stones removed
- 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 25 gm (¼ cup) hazelnut meal
- 500 gm (3 cups) plain flour, sifted
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 50 gm hazelnut meal
- 250 gm chilled butter, diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1For hazelnut pastry, combine flour, sugar and hazelnut meal in a bowl, add butter and using fingertips rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add eggs and stir to combine, then gently knead to a smooth dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until required.
- 2Preheat oven to 190C. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface to a 40cm-diameter circle and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Scatter hazelnut meal over pastry, leaving a 5cm border. Arrange plums over hazelnut meal and scatter with sugar. Fold uncovered edges over and bake until pastry is golden and plums are tender (40-45 minutes). Serve slices of crostata warm or cold with cream.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling brachetto or pink moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen