Bacon bones impart a delicious smokiness to the creamed corn but feel free to leave them out. You can always add a pinch of smoked paprika instead for a similar result. The creamed corn can be made a day in advance and warmed before serving.
- 8 eggs (see note)
- To serve: toast
- 120 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200 gm bacon bones
- 5 corn cobs, husks and silks discarded
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- Finely grated rind of 2 limes
Green chilli relish
- 50 ml olive oil
- 30 ml lime juice
- 2 pickled jalapeños, thinly sliced (see note)
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander
- 1For creamed corn, melt 30gm butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until very tender (5-6 minutes), then add bacon bones, sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Meanwhile, slice kernels from corn cobs, set aside, then cut each cob into rough pieces. Add kernels and cobs to pan, add milk, season to taste, cover with a lid and simmer until kernels are very tender (12-15 minutes). Drain (reserve liquid, discard bacon bones and cobs). Pulse corn mixture, in batches, in a food processor, adding enough of the reserved liquid until a semi-smooth purée forms. Transfer to a clean pan over medium heat, add remaining butter a little at a time, and stir until melted and combined. Stir in lime rind, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for green chilli relish, combine ingredients (except coriander) in a bowl, season to taste and set aside. Add chopped coriander just before serving.
- 3Poach eggs, in batches, in simmering water over low heat until cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes for soft yolks), drain well, pat dry on absorbent paper. Serve with warm creamed corn on toast topped with green chilli relish.
Note For beautifully shaped poached eggs, use the freshest eggs you can find. Pickled jalapeños are available from select delicatessens and supermarkets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am