- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 3 anchovy fillets, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 rack of beef (also known as a standing rib roast), with at least 5 ribs (4.3kg)
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 500 ml pouring cream
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 Desiree potatoes (about 2kg)
- ½ nutmeg
- 1Combine oil, rosemary, mustard and anchovies in a non-reactive dish, add beef, turn to coat, cover and marinate at room temperature (1 hour).
- 2For potato gratin, preheat oven to 190C. Whisk cream and garlic in a bowl to combine. Peel and thinly slice potatoes on a mandolin into the cream, tossing to coat as you go to prevent discolouration, season to taste and arrange in even layers in a buttered 30cm x 30cm oven dish. Season with freshly ground black pepper and a grating of nutmeg, cover with baking paper then foil and bake on lowest rung of oven until a knife pierces potato easily (45 minutes to 1 hour). Uncover and cook until golden (30 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, place beef on top of onions in a roasting dish and roast on top shelf until medium-rare (1½ hours). Set beef aside loosely covered with foil to rest (30 minutes), then serve with gratin and mustard.
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied cabernet merlot. Drink suggestion by Max Allen