When the weather cools, the craving for everything cauliflower kicks in. From soups to salads, this vegetable not only tastes incredible, it can be used to add different textures depending on whether you roast it, grill it or serve it raw.
In this recipe, the cauliflower is roasted until it starts to caramelise, which adds extra depth of flavour to this hefty salad. Serve it warm or at room temperature.
- 80 gm flaked almonds
- 1 (1.3kg) cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 90 gm puffed quinoa (see note)
- 2 cups (loosely packed) coriander
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) dill
- 1 tsp toasted nigella seeds
- Lime halves, to serve (optional)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 180 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated rind of ½ lime and juice of 1, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Spread almonds on an oven tray and roast until golden (5-6 minutes). Set almonds aside and increase oven to 250C.
- 2For spice mixture, dry-roast whole spices in a small frying pan over high heat until fragrant (30-40 seconds). Cool, then grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Add turmeric and pulse in grinder or stir to combine.
- 3Place cauliflower in a bowl. Add oil and spice mixture, season to taste and toss to combine (turmeric stains so wear gloves if using your hands). Scatter in an oven dish and roast until cauliflower is golden and tender, and starting to char at the edges (15-20 minutes). Cool.
- 4Meanwhile, dry-roast puffed quinoa in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp (3-5 minutes).
- 5For yoghurt dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 6Spoon yoghurt dressing onto plates, top with cauliflower, scatter with almonds, puffed quinoa, herbs and nigella seeds, season with lime to taste and serve.
Puffed quinoa is available from health-food shops.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp, dry pilsner. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.