- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 6 spring onions (white part only), thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 150 gm cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small potato (about 100gm), finely chopped
- ½ carrot, finely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 60 gm (½ cup) peas
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 280 gm (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp lime pickle, finely chopped (see note)
- For eggwash: egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 500 gm (3 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp dry-roasted cumin seeds, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 150 gm chilled butter, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm chilled lard, coarsely chopped
- 1For cumin pastry, combine flour, cumin and a pinch of salt in a food processor, add butter and lard, and pulse to combine. Add 120ml iced water and pulse to form a dough, divide in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté spring onions and garlic until tender (2-3 minutes). Add ginger, spices and curry leaves, stir until mustard seeds pop (1 minute), then add cauliflower, tomatoes, potato and carrot, and stir until vegetables start to soften (6-8 minutes). Add stock and simmer until vegetables are soft (6-8 minutes), then add peas and stir, season to taste and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add half the coriander and half the lime juice and stir to incorporate.
- 3Roll out pastry to 3mm thick, then cut out twenty 10cm rounds with a biscuit cutter; re-roll scraps if necessary. Spoon 2 tbsp of vegetable mixture into the centre of each round, brush edges with eggwash, bring edges together and press to seal. Crimp the edges and place pasties on trays lined with baking paper, refrigerating them as they’re assembled. Brush pasties with eggwash and bake, swapping trays halfway through, until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
- 4Combine yoghurt, pickle, remaining coriander and remaining lime juice, season to taste and serve warm with spiced pasties.
Note Indian lime pickle is available from select delicatessens and Indian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Medium-sweet pear cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm