The lightness of bavarois makes it an ideal dessert for spring entertaining. If you want to give it a twist, you could try using a sheep's milk or buffalo milk yoghurt instead of plain.
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 4 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water (3-5 minutes)
- 600 gm plain yoghurt
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachios
Saffron-cardamom honey syrup
- 110 gm wildflower honey
- ½ tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 1For vanilla-yoghurt bavarois, bring sugar, 150ml cream and vanilla bean and seeds to the boil in a saucepan, then remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to cream mixture and stir until dissolved (1 minute). Place yoghurt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth, then add cream mixture and whisk again until smooth. Discard vanilla bean and set mixture aside in a cool place, whisking occasionally, until starting to thicken (20-30 minutes). Whisk remaining cream until soft peaks form, then gently fold whipped cream into yoghurt mixture with a whisk. Pour into six 125ml pudding moulds and refrigerate to set (6 hours or overnight).
- 2For saffron-cardamom honey syrup, bring ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan, then set aside to cool slightly (depending on the thickness of the honey you may need to add a teaspoonful or two of water to form a thick drizzling syrup).
- 3To serve, dip moulds into hot water and turn bavarois onto plates, spoon a little honey syrup over and scatter with pistachios.