- 80 gm tapioca pearls
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 40 gm coconut sugar (see note, left), or to taste
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
- To serve: flesh of 1 young coconut (see note)
- To serve: thickly sliced papaya and shaved ice
- 1Cook tapioca in a saucepan of boiling water until tender and translucent (10-12 minutes), then drain and refresh under running water. Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, stir coconut milk, sugar and lime rind in a bowl until sugar dissolves, add tapioca then divide among shallow serving bowls. Add young coconut flesh and papaya to each bowl, pile shaved ice in the centre and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
Note Young coconuts are also sold as drinking coconuts in greengrocers and supermarkets. To open one, place it flat-side down on a hard surface and carefully cut off the dome-shaped lid with the heel of a large knife or cleaver. You'll need to use a bit of force. Pour out the liquid and remove the flesh with a spoon.