- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 100 gm fresh or frozen peas
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stalks trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp finely diced salted radish (see note)
- 500 gm cooked white or brown jasmine rice, cooled, then chilled (about 250gm uncooked)
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or to taste)
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- Large pinch of ground white pepper
- 1Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat until smoking. Crack egg into pan, stir to ensure it doesn't stick and cooks evenly, and cook until egg has caramelised (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add peas, mushroom, onion and salted radish, then add rice. Stir, toss and squish rice with the back of a spoon to help the rice separate and fry evenly, reducing the heat to medium if necessary while you're working the rice to ensure it doesn't burn. Season with soy sauce to taste, sugar, pepper and ½ tsp salt, and continue to toss and stir until rice has completely separated and the aroma of roasted rice is filling the room (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or plate to serve.
Salted radish is available from Asian supermarkets. If unavailable, substitute 2 tbsp diced zucchini for texture.Wine suggestion 2017 Nittnaus Anita und Hans Blaufränkisch Kalk und Schiefer from Burgenland, Austria. Wine suggestion by Thibaud Crégut.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 7:30am
- Fast RecipesSpiced yoghurt chicken with cardamom-coconut pilafYesterday 6:00am