"If you get into Tokyo early, don't eat breakfast on the plane," says McConnell. "Wait and get a crumbed pork loin sandwich and a can of sake on the train - it's the best and most civilised way to arrive in any city."
- 4 pork chops (about 200gm each and 1.5cm thick), skin removed
- 35 gm (¼ cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 gm (2 cups) panko crumbs
- ¼ head of cabbage
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 apples, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300 ml ketchup
- 240 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 260 ml rice vinegar
- 170 ml mirin
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 220 gm (1 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp hot English mustard
- 1Strip the chop bones of excess fat and sinew. Place flour on a plate and season with sea salt flakes. Place eggs in a bowl and spread panko crumbs on a separate plate. Dip cutlets first into flour, then egg, shaking off excess in between. Gently press the cutlets into the panko crumbs, ensuring the meat is evenly coated on both sides. Refrigerate until required.
- 2For bulldog sauce, combine ingredients in a saucepan with 400ml of water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and discard the garlic. Purée with a blender or in a blender and pass through a fine sieve.
- 3Meanwhile, shave cabbage finely on a mandolin and soak in iced water for 1 hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 180C and warm grapeseed oil in a large frying pan. When oil is hot, carefully brown the cutlets in batches, turning once, until golden (3-4 minutes each side), adding more oil if required. Transfer to an oven tray and roast until cooked medium (5 minutes).
- 5Cut the cutlets in half, season to taste with sea salt flakes and serve with a pile of shredded cabbage and a pot of bulldog sauce.
Drink Suggestion: 2013 Chapter Heathcote Malbec, Vic. Fleshy and spicy, the malbec can go toe-to-toe with the bulldog sauce. Drink suggestion by Leanne Altmann
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am