Sweet potatoes are full of sugar, which means they crisp and caramelise beautifully in the oven. That's a start, but the toppings are the hero here: a sharp, creamy filling of goat's cheese, sour cream and chives, a scatter of roasted nuts and seeds for crunch, and mint for freshness. Serve them on their own, or as a tricked-up side with a roast in place of jacket potatoes.
- 8 small sweet potatoes (about 230gm each)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp roasted nuts and seeds, such as pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pepitas
- Finely chopped mint, to serve
Goat's cheese topping
- 100 gm goat's cheese (chèvre)
- 80 gm sour cream
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C. Place sweet potatoes on an oven tray, rub with oil and season to taste, then roast until crisp, golden and tender (30 minutes).
- 2For goat's cheese topping, stir ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Score potatoes deeply, stuff with goat's cheese filling, top with nuts and seeds and scatter with mint.