- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 6 cm piece of galangal, peeled and finely grated
- 1.2 kg medium green prawns, peeled, veins removed, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 250 gm beansprouts
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 20 betel leaves, washed and dried (see note)
- 35 gm raw peanuts, roasted and coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
- To serve: lime wedges
- 1Heat wok or large frying pan over high heat, add oil and heat until oil begins to smoke. Add half the garlic, chilli, ginger and galangal and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add half the prawns and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add half the fish sauce and coconut cream, toss to combine, then remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining halves of same ingredients, then add to prawn mixture in bowl and stand for 10 minutes. Stir in beansprouts and coriander leaves.
- 2To serve, top betel leaves with 2 tbsp of prawn mixture, scatter with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
Note Betel leaves - actually a leaf from a pepper tree - are available from Asian greengrocers and supermarkets.