Flatbread drizzled with olive oil and toasted in the oven until crisp is a great accompaniment to this soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.2 kg carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 750 ml vegetable or chicken stock (3 cups)
- 100 gm quinoa
- 300 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 1/3 cup each coarsely chopped mint and flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (2-3 minutes). Add carrot, spices and lemon rind and stir occasionally until carrot softens (4-5 minutes). Add stock and 600ml boiling water, season to taste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until well-flavoured (5-10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cook quinoa in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (10-12 minutes), then drain and set aside in a bowl.
- 3Remove soup from heat, add lemon juice and half the feta, process with a hand-held blender until smooth, then add vinegar. Top with quinoa, scatter with herbs and remaining feta, drizzle with exra-virgin olive oil and serve hot.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe restaurant kitchens that are going plastic-freeYesterday 3:00am