Add colour and variety to spring barbecues with this panzanella-style salad of charred peppers, smoky almonds and fragrant herbs simply dressed with a sherry vinaigrette – an ideal partner for grilled chicken.
- 4 red capsicum, quartered, seeds discarded
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 gm smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 salad onion or ½ small white onion, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of smoked paprika
- 1½ cups torn day-old sourdough bread
- Coarsely chopped mint and flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- 1Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high. Grill capsicum, turning occasionally, until charred and tender (6-8 minutes). Cut quarters in half widthways and transfer to a serving bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl, toss with capsicum to coat, and season to taste. Scatter with almonds, onion, paprika, bread, mint and parsley and toss to combine to serve.