Add colour and variety to spring barbecues with this panzanella-style salad of charred peppers, smoky almonds and fragrant herbs simply dressed with a sherry vinaigrette – an ideal partner for grilled chicken.
- 4 red capsicum, quartered, seeds discarded
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 gm smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 salad onion or ½ small white onion, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of smoked paprika
- 1½ cups torn day-old sourdough bread
- Coarsely chopped mint and flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- 1Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high. Grill capsicum, turning occasionally, until charred and tender (6-8 minutes). Cut quarters in half widthways and transfer to a serving bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl, toss with capsicum to coat, and season to taste. Scatter with almonds, onion, paprika, bread, mint and parsley and toss to combine to serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe must-have Italian pantry staples for your kitchenYesterday 5:00am