This dish also works with pork, chicken or prawns.
- 200 gm fresh wide rice noodles
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bunch gai lan (Chinese broccoli; about 200gm), stalks trimmed and thinly sliced, leaves coarsely chopped
- 200 ml chicken stock
- To season: fish sauce and light soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp water
- To serve: roasted chilli flakes, caster sugar and lime wedges
- 1Combine noodles with soy sauce in a bowl and season to taste with white pepper. Heat a well-seasoned wok over high heat, add noodles and cook without stirring until charred (2-3 minutes). Add half the oil, toss to combine and transfer to a bowl.
- 2Heat remaining oil in wok, add garlic and stir-fry (1-2 minutes), then add gai lan and stir-fry until wilted (1-2 minutes). Add stock, season with fish sauce and light soy, then add cornflour mixed with water, bring to the boil and stir until it has a gravy consistency (1-2 minutes). Add noodles, toss to coat and serve seasoned with chilli flakes, sugar and lime squeezed over to taste.