This flatbread is one of the simplest bread recipes out there, and ultra-impressive. Change up the toppings as you like – for spring, we've gone with asparagus, prosciutto, fresh ricotta and herbs.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 170 gm asparagus (1 bunch), stalks trimmed and cut into 3 pieces
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 150 gm fresh ricotta
- 65 gm thinly sliced prosciutto
- Coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 300 gm (2 cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1For flatbread, combine ingredients, 1/2 tsp salt flakes and 130ml water in a bowl, then knead in the bowl until a smooth dough.
- 2Preheat a large char-grill pan or a barbecue to high. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to an 8mm-thick oval. Brush pan with oil and grill flatbreads in batches, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through (6 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, blanch asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until bright green (2 minutes). Drain, and season to taste.
- 4Rub hot flatbreads with cut-sides of garlic, spread with ricotta, season to taste, and top with asparagus, prosciutto and parsley. Drizzle with oil and serve with lemon wedges.