- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 50 gm ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 2 small red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 60 gm coconut oil or ghee
- 3 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 3 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 24 raw prawns, peeled, cleaned, tails intact
- Lime juice, to taste, plus extra wedges to serve
- To serve: steamed basmati rice and coriander
- 1Process onion, ginger, chillies, garlic, 1 tsp sea salt and 100ml water in small food processor to a paste.
- 2Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until melted and hot, add curry leaves and fry until fragrant and crisp (30 seconds), then drain on paper towels. Add mustard and fenugreek seeds to pan, stir until beginning to pop (10-20 seconds), then return half the curry leaves to the pan along with the chilli paste. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and mixture no longer tastes raw (4-5 minutes). Add turmeric, stir until fragrant (30 seconds), then stir in coconut cream and prawns and bring to a simmer. Simmer until prawns are just cooked through (2-3 minutes), season to taste with lime juice and serve hot on steamed basmati rice and scatter with coriander and remaining curry leaves.