Purged clams are available from fishmongers and select supermarkets. If you can't find purged clams, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes to remove grit.
- 24 cherry tomatoes (about 1½ punnets)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 100 gm butter, softened
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, juice of 2
- ½ cup (firmly packed) each flat-leaf parsley and basil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed
- 1 kg purged clams
- To serve: crusty bread and green salad (optional)
- 1Heat a large char-grill pan or barbecue to medium heat. Combine tomatoes, oil and thyme in a large bowl, toss to combine, season to taste and grill, turning occasionally, until golden and tender (8-10 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl and set aside until required.
- 2Meanwhile, combine butter, lemon rind and juice and half the herbs in a bowl, mix to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Grill mussels and clams, covered with a lid or bowl and stirring occasionally, until they open (2-3 minutes; if you’re using a kettle-style barbecue, place a tray underneath the grill to catch the juices). Transfer to a large bowl, add lemon butter and toss until combined and butter has melted. Add grilled tomatoes and remaining herbs, and serve with crusty bread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm