A great breakfast, snack or dessert.
- 200 gm (11/3 cups) self-raising flour, sieved
- 25 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 2 eggs, separated
- 310 ml (11/4 cups) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20 gm butter
- Whipped cream, to serve Pear jam
- 3 small ripe pears, cored, coarsely chopped
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds
- 1For jam, combine ingredients and 1 tbsp water in a large frying pan, over medium heat and stir
until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pears are tender and mixture
thickens (15-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, combine flour and icing sugar in a bowl. Whisk together yolks and buttermilk in a separate bowl, then whisk into flour mixture. Whisk eggwhites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into batter.
- 3Brush a large frying pan over medium heat with oil, add a dot of butter, then drop tablespoonfuls of batter into pan and cook until bubbles form on tops and bases are golden (2-3 minutes). Turn over and cook until golden (1-2 minutes). Keep warm and repeat with remaining oil, butter and batter. Serve with jam and cream.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am