- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 small sourdough ficelles, halved, or 1 large sourdough baguette, cut into 4 pieces
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
- 20 cooked medium tiger prawns, peeled and cleaned
- To serve: lemon wedges
Tomato chilli mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 egg tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 fresh red birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 1Combine onion and 1 tsp sea salt in a bowl and mix well, then leave for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, for tomato chilli mayonnaise, process egg yolk and mustard in a small food processor until combined, then, with motor running, add olive oil in a steady stream until thick and emulsified. Add tomato, lemon juice and chilli and process until smooth and combined. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and season to taste.
- 2Rinse red onion under cold water, then drain and pat dry on absorbent paper. Combine onion and vinegar in a bowl, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- 3Cut bread in half horizontally and fill each piece with 3 lettuce leaves and 5 prawns. Top with a little marinated onion, drizzle with tomato chilli mayonnaise and season to taste with a little freshly ground black pepper.
Drink Suggestion: 2006 Jacob’s Creek Reserve Rosé.