Quinoa forms an ideal base for a fast lunch or dinner during the week. It cooks in a flash and adds a lovely nuttiness to any dish. In this light salad, it's paired with chilli-saffron prawns, fresh herbs and lemon.
- 300 gm (1½ cups) quinoa
- 50 gm butter
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 12 uncooked prawns, peeled and deveined
- Large pinch of saffron mixed with 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 cup each (loosely packed) coriander and flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1Cook quinoa in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and steam dry.
- 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add shallot and fry, stirring frequently, until tender (8-10 minutes). Add prawns and saffron water, and turn occasionally until almost cooked through (3-5 minutes). Add ginger, garlic and chilli, and fry until fragrant (2-3 minutes), toss to combine, remove from heat and stir through herbs.
- 3Stir prawn mixture and lemon juice through quinoa, season to taste and serve with extra lemon wedges.