- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green banana chilli, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and ground chilli
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 250 ml beef or chicken stock (1 cup)
- 200 gm canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 chipotle chillies in adobo, finely chopped (see note)
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 40 gm dark chocolate (80% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 200 gm basmati rice, rinsed well (1 cup)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1Process onion, chilli and garlic to a paste in a food processor. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion mixture, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes), add spices, stir until fragrant (1 minute), add stock, tomato and chipotle chilli and bring to the simmer. Add chicken, season to taste, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is tender (6-8 minutes). Remove chicken from sauce (set aside), add chocolate and simmer to reduce slightly (3-4 minutes). When chicken is cool enough to handle, coarsely shred and return to sauce. Keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, bring rice, 375ml water and 1 tsp salt to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed (15 minutes; do not remove lid). Just before serving, fluff rice with a fork, stir in coriander, onion and lime juice and season to taste. Serve mole hot, scattered with coriander, with rice and lime wedges.
Note Chipotle chillies in adobo sauce are available from select delicatessens and Monterey Mexican Foods; if they're unavailable, add a little smoked paprika to the spice mix.