- 200 gm cracked freekeh (see note)
- 2 grapefruit, segmented, reserve juices
- 30 ml Sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 70 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2 beetroot, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 1 cup each coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley, mint and coriander
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 120 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 50 gm raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1Cook freekeh in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (15-20 minutes), drain, refresh under cold running water, drain well and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, combine grapefruit juice, vinegar and garlic in a bowl and stand until garlic softens (2-3 minutes). Add oil and sumac, whisk to combine and set aside.
- 3Combine freekeh, beetroot, carrot, fennel, reserved fennel fronds, herbs, spring onion, feta, almonds and grapefruit segments in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing, season to taste, toss to combine and serve.