- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 leek (white part only), thinly sliced
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges, to serve
- 130 gm curly kale (about 1 bunch), coarsely torn into bite-sized pieces
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 190 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 pieces (200gm each) skinless ocean trout fillets, pin-boned
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a wide saucepan, add leek and half the fennel, and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Add garlic, fennel seeds, half the chilli and half the rind, and sauté until fragrant (1 minute). Add kale, stir occasionally until just wilted, then add chickpeas and stock, and bring to a simmer. Season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Place ocean trout on a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil and season. Scatter with remaining rind and remaining chilli, then roast until cooked to your liking (6-7 minutes for medium-rare).
- 3Add lemon juice to chickpea mixture, check seasoning, then divide among plates. Top with coarsely flaked trout and remaining fennel. Serve hot with lemon wedges.