- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 380 gm cooked long-grain white rice (about 1½ cups uncooked) (3 cups)
- 25 gm ginger, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp
- To serve: coriander sprigs, thinly sliced spring onions, soy sauce, preserved vegetables or any pickles
- 1Combine stock, rice and ginger in a saucepan, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until it starts to thicken (15 minutes). Set aside and stir occasionally until congee is thickened (10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cook eggs in boiling water until soft-boiled (7 minutes), rinse under cold running water, peel and set aside.
- 3Divide congee among bowls, then top with a halved egg, dried shrimp, coriander and spring onions. Serve with soy sauce and pickles to taste.