A home-style dish with endless variations. Served cold, it sometimes graces the table with nothing more than chopped garlic and spring onions with a splash of soy and sesame oil, and other times with fried ginger, garlic and chillies. Some oyster sauce and soy sauce are added with some water and the whole thing is poured over this soft tofu. Super-fast and easy to make.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 gm (about 1 cm) ginger, cut into julienne
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 birdseye chillies (or to taste), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chicken stock or water
- Pinch of sugar
- 300 gm silken tofu, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 1Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry ginger until light golden (1-2 minutes). Add garlic and stir until just turning light golden (1 minute). Stir in chillies, then add oyster sauce, soy, stock and sugar. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- 2Shingle tofu slices on a plate, pour dressing over the top and serve scattered with spring onion.