- 3 dried long red chillies
- 3 avocados
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 12 whiting fillets (about 60gm each)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1Place dried chillies in a small frying pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until deep red and smoky. Cool, then place in a mortar and, using a pestle, crush to a coarse powder, add 2 tbsp sea salt and mix to combine.
- 2Peel avocados and cut into thick wedges, place in a large bowl, drizzle with lime juice and sesame oil and gently mix to combine.
- 3For tempura batter, whisk egg yolk, add 1 cup iced water and stir to combine, then add flour and, using a fork, stir gently until just starting to combine (batter should still contain lumps). In a separate bowl whisk eggwhite until soft peaks form, then gently fold through batter.
- 4Heat peanut oil in a large, deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Dust whiting fillets in flour and dip in tempura batter, then deep-fry for 1-2 minutes or until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately with avocado, sprinkled with smoked chilli salt.