Look for a top-notch chilli jam with a good balance of sweet and spicy.
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying,plus 40ml extra
- 600 gm firm tofu, cut into 3cm cubes
- Cornflour, for dusting
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 40 gm chilli jam
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 tsp ground Sichuan pepper
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Dust tofu in cornflour, shaking off excess. Deep-fry tofu in batches (careful, hot oil may spit), turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- 2Heat 40ml oil in a frying pan and add spring onion, garlic, shallot and ginger and sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Stir in chilli jam, soy sauce, kecap manis and pepper, then add tofu and stir to coat. Serve with steamed greens and scatter with spring onion.