Look for a top-notch chilli jam with a good balance of sweet and spicy.
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying,plus 40ml extra
- 600 gm firm tofu, cut into 3cm cubes
- Cornflour, for dusting
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 40 gm chilli jam
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 tsp ground Sichuan pepper
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Dust tofu in cornflour, shaking off excess. Deep-fry tofu in batches (careful, hot oil may spit), turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- 2Heat 40ml oil in a frying pan and add spring onion, garlic, shallot and ginger and sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Stir in chilli jam, soy sauce, kecap manis and pepper, then add tofu and stir to coat. Serve with steamed greens and scatter with spring onion.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm