Scent is everything when picking pineapples. You don't need to add much to a great-tasting pineapple - we've gone with a no-churn mango sorbet. Start this recipe a day ahead to freeze the sorbet.
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 2 passionfruit
- finely grated rind of 1 lime
- coarsely chopped roasted macadamia nuts, to serve
- 3 ripe mangoes (about 650gm), diced
- 2½ tbsp rice malt syrup
- juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1For mango sorbet, purée mango with rice malt syrup and 100ml water until smooth, then strain through a fine sieve. Transfer purée to ice-cube trays (or place 1⁄4 cup purée in separate snap-lock bags) and freeze overnight. Transfer cubes to a food processor and process until smooth, adding lime juice to taste, then freeze until just firm. Sorbet is best eaten within two days.
- 2Working around the outside of the pineapple, shave off very thin slices with a knife until you reach the core (this can be done ahead and the slices refrigerated until needed.)
- 3To serve, arrange pineapple on plates, top with passionfruit, lime rind and macadamia nuts and serve with scoops of mango sorbet.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesHam and cheese toasties with quick-pickled cucumberYesterday 3:00am