No barbecue is complete without a mix of excellent salads. This one makes the most of summer tomatoes and the freshest of herbs, but don't be fooled - it's no lightweight. A mix of grains and seeds adds heft as well as interest.
- 150 gm wild rice (1½ cups)
- 150 gm freekeh
- 600 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved, sliced or quartered, depending on size
- ½ cup each mint, coriander and flat-leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- ½ small spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 90 ml extra-virgin olive oil 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 black garlic cloves (see note), very finely chopped
- 1Cook rice in a saucepan of boiling salted water, adding freekeh after 15 minutes of cooking, until tender (30-35 minutes). Drain well and spread on a tray to cool. Transfer to a bowl, add tomato, herbs and onion, cover and refrigerate until required.
- 2For black garlic dressing, blend ingredients in a small food processor until smooth (thin with a little water if necessary) and season to taste.
- 3Dress salad just before serving and toss to combine, transfer to a platter, scatter with nuts and seeds, and serve.
Tamari nut and seed mix is available from select greengrocers and health-food shops; if it's unavailable, substitute your own choice of roasted nuts and seeds. Black garlic is available from select delicatessens and supermarkets.
Drink Suggestion: Juicy young red gamay Drink suggestion by Max Allen