- 1 ocean trout (2kg-2.5kg), cleaned, head and tail removed, halved
- For brushing: melted butter
- 300 gm natural yoghurt
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 200 gm rye sourdough, coarsely torn
- 100 gm butter
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and dill
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 telegraph cucumbers, half peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced and rinsed under cold running water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- ½ tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped mint and coriander
- 1For labne, tip yoghurt into a sieve lined with muslin and set over a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight to drain. Place in a shallow bowl, pour olive oil over and refrigerate until required.
- 2For sourdough stuffing, preheat oven to 140C, spread bread on a tray, place in oven to dry, stirring occasionally (10-15 minutes). Heat butter in a frying pan, add bread and stir until starting to toast (2-4 minutes), then stir in herbs, lemon and garlic and season to taste.
- 3Place a side of trout, skin-side down, on a board and spoon breadcrumb mixture on top. Sandwich with the other side, skin-side up, and tie with kitchen string at 10cm intervals. On overlapping sheets of foil, place a long sheet of buttered baking paper, buttered side up. Place trout in the centre and put another another piece of buttered baking paper on top, buttered side down (this stops the skin sticking to the foil and also colours the fish a little). Wrap the foil around the trout to seal and barbecue over medium heat, carefully turning twice, until a meat thermometer inserted in the thicker end reads 50C, or a metal skewer inserted for 20 seconds feels warm when touched to your lip (20-30 minutes).
- 4For cucumber salad, combine cucumber, onion, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and sesame seeds in a bowl. Toss to dress and season to taste, then transfer to a serving bowl and scatter with herbs. Serve trout with salad and labne on the side.
Drink Suggestion: A complex, textural, barrel-fermented Marlborough sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen