The poaching liquid from the apricots would make a lovely jelly to serve as an accompaniment, but it otherwise keeps for months to reuse for poaching other fruit.
- 60 gm flaked almonds
- 375 ml dessert wine (see note)
- 200 gm raw sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 12 apricots, halved
- 300 gm each mascarpone, crème fraîche and thickened cream
- 1 tbsp pure icing sugar, sieved, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Scatter almonds over a tray and roast until light golden (4-6 minutes). Set aside on tray to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, bring dessert wine, sugar and vanilla and 160ml water to the boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium, add apricots, bring to a simmer (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat and stand apricots in poaching liquid to cool while you serve the meal.
- 3To serve, whisk mascarpone, crème fraîche, cream and icing sugar in a bowl to soft peaks. Spoon apricots and a little syrup into bowls and top with the cream and flaked almonds.
Note We use Brown Brothers Orange Muscat and Flora; if it's unavailable, substitute another light, sticky white wine.
Drink Suggestion: The same wine you used for poaching the apricots. Drink suggestion by Max Allen