This rösti is equally good for breakfast or lunch with a light salad added for zing. Kent (Jap) pumpkin contains a good amount of starch, which is perfect for holding the rösti together as it cooks.
- 120 gm peeled Kent pumpkin, coarsely grated
- 120 gm Desiree potatoes (about 1 large), peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 160 ml olive oil
- 4 eggs
Mint, feta and avocado salad
- 2 cups (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup (firmly packed) mint, torn
- 100 gm Persian feta, crumbled
- 1 avocado, cut into dice
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 190C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine pumpkin, potato, onion and thyme in a large bowl and season to taste.
- 2Heat 40ml oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add a quarter of the pumpkin mixture, press down to 1cm thick and cook, turning once, until golden brown (2-3 minutes each side). Transfer to prepared tray and place in oven until cooked through (5 minutes). Repeat three times with remaining pumpkin mixture.
- 3Poach eggs in a saucepan of simmering water until soft-poached (3 minutes).
- 4Combine salad ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and serve with rösti topped with a poached egg and lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Brunch-time bubbly. Drink suggestion by Max Allen